Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Keystone Pipeline: The Goods

The article, "Keystone is responsible oil sands development: Column," by Alison Redford is an opinion piece discussing a decision President Obama might make. (Just want to say that Alison Redford is the Premier of Alberta, Canada.) The Keystone Pipeline is pipeline that will  transport oil from the oil sands in Alberta, Canada to several destinations in the USA. Redford talks about how she is very appreciative of what the President is going to do. "I'm proud to say Alberta applauds and shares the president's strong desire to address climate change and we're already taking action," Redford says.  The President in addition is making a choice that allows two countries become better "friends," he's also making a good decision for the environment. The Keystone Pipeline is using clean energy and equipment so greenhouse emissions can be reduced by 32 million tons. The Premier says, "We were the first place in North America to require by law all large industry across all sectors to take action on greenhouse gas emissions... We take the revenue generated from this levy and direct all the money into a clean technology fund." She is very sure that the equipment used for the pipeline will have a great effect on the environment.  In all, Alison Redford wants to thank President Obama for choosing the Keystone Pipeline to be the line supplying the USA oil. 

Alison Redford, in my opinion, wants readers, especially USA citizens to feel very grateful of Canada's resources. She shows in her article by repeating how "green" the pipeline is going to be and how it will reduce greenhouse emissions. She says, "Through our policies and our actions past, present and future, Americans should feel confident that Alberta is the safest, most secure and responsible energy supplier to the U.S. The same cannot be said for the other foreign countries and regimes that currently feed U.S. energy demand." She's saying that Americans should feel confident. It makes me think that she's very confident that we will be approving of the Keystone Pipeline. Redford wants us be almost thanking them for creating a "such-new and improved" pipeline. I mean, of course every county would try to persuade the USA to become a partner, but the Premier has this ego that gives her all the confidence about the pipeline, but not us. Also, Redford wants readers to think that Canada is a great partnership to be in and there are benefits. She's almost sounds like she's posting an ad for Canada's businesses. For example, she says, "We want to be an enabler of good solutions that achieve the outcomes that all Americans and Canadians are looking for. I'm proud to say, Alberta is already leading the way...Over the past several months Alberta has taken a number of strong environmental actions. " She is giving the world of how Canada is going to be helping the USA with oil and the environment. Basically, the Premier wants readers to know that Canada is open for businesses and the Keystone Pipeline is just an example how. 

After reading this article, I learned much from it. I see many beneficial outcomes if the Keystone Pipeline is approved. Canada is helping the USA and themselves in many ways that include county relations and oil. After hearing Alison Redford's view on the Pipeline's good, I feel like I see the benefits of the pipeline, but I actually want to hear the outside of the argument. What are the bads of the pipeline? If it benefits both countries, what would be the disastrous things of it? In conclusion, I learned that the Premier is very grateful for the President and the government for taking the possibility of the pipeline in consideration. 

Bibliography: Redford, Alison. "Keystone Is Responsible Oil Sands Development: Column." USA Today. Gannett, 25 Feb. 2013. Web. 26 Feb. 2013.




1 comment:

  1. The "bads" are that it ruins the environment where the pipeline will be built and the greenhouse gasses will NOT be helped much due to all the ruined forests and that the oil sands themselves make a lot of air pollution. Not to mention the risk of major oil spills. In the past, I have heard in the news (before I moved) about how dirty Alberta's oil sands are and how much pollution it makes. There have been many protests in the past and I believe that the pipeline should not be built.

    ReplyDelete