Sunday, October 7, 2012

Relationships and Kid

In "Brooklyn, Burning" by Steve Brezenoff, Kid is a street kid. He has been in and out of his home. Meanwhile his dad doesn't want him in the house, his mom knows nothing about the day his dad kicks Kid out. When Kid is on the streets, he meets new people, his new group of friends. Throughout his friends, each and very one of them is an influence in his decisions. There is Fish, a bar owner; Konny who is wild and does not say to one sexuality; Jonny who seems to be a friendly guy with unlimited supply of drinks and lastly, Felix; him and Kid form a relationship but it doesn't not work out. Scout is later brought into the story, a year after Felix and Kid make flyers to form a band, she shows up on Fish's bar steps looking for Felix. This is the point where Kid's life starts to change. His choices are influenced by his friends and family. His resolutions are dependent on his relationships with each and every one of his peers and family.

Throughout the story, Fish shows up many times. I think she has a lot to do with Kid's decisions, especially him going home. Many times in the book, Fish tries to urge and push Kid into the right direction. For example, on page 23-24, it states, "When we reached the door, it swung open. I hadn't even noticed Fish walking besides us through the bar. 'Where are you sleeping, Kid?' Fish asked as we passed through, into the wee hours. 'The usual, I guess:Felix's old place,' I said. 'Unless you're going to let me crash in the cellar for once?'...'Why do you want to sleep at the warehouse?' Fish said. 'Why do you even want to sleep in the cellar? Why do you keep surrounding yourself with...'"This quotes from Fish makes me think that she really does care about Kid's future. She keeps pushing Kid to go back home and make up with his parents so that he can live a better live. For example, on page 67, it states, "I felt her hand on my shoulder and cringed a little. 'You know,' she said, her voice calm now and soft, 'you could just go home.'" Every time Kid asks if he can sleep in her cellar, she says the same answer, no. She tries to push Kid home instead of living on the streets. Fish is really a caring person who wants the best for everyone.

Another type of relationship that sort of harmed his path going home is his father's. His father is constantly belittling Kid. He doesn't not acknowledge Kid when he's around because I think he is embarrassed by him. For example on page 119-121, it says, "Ms.Weinberg gave a tight smile and said bluntly, 'I'd like to release Kid to your care.''Who the hell is Kid?' I raised my hand at the elbow, shyly, and Dad chortled and shook his head...'And what if we don't want Kid?' Everyone froze and looked at my dad. 'After all, I never heard of anyone named Kid. Shouldn't be my problem, right?'...'I've got the only kid I know who doesn't know whether to be straight or gay or a guy or a girl or what.'...'You know the last time I let any of the guys down at the plant to see my family? Five years, if a day.'' It seems to me that Kid's dad doesn't want to do anything with. He thinks badly of his son and ignores him. He's saying that Kid is a disappointment to his family. On the other hand, his mother is the total opposite of her husband. She adores Kid and when he left, she didn't now what to do. For example on page 124, " I took a step back, widening the space between us even more. The backs of my legs hit the coffee table.'Dad packed my bag. I came home---late---and my bag was on my bed. Dad stood there and told me to leave. He said you didn't want me in your home.  Mom put her hand to her mouth and gaped at me. She hadn't known; for a year she'd thought I'd run away---run away to drink and get stoned and have sex. She'd been listening to Dad, and I haven't been here to tell her some truth. 'Sweetie,' she said,' I didn't know. I never did.'"  Kid's dad was using Kid's mom so that he can get Kid out of his roof. He didn't want Kid in his house, bringing strangers to his house and doing things. He needed something or someone to get rid of him. So he lied to Kid saying that his mom didn't love him anymore. Kid's mom should not have believed her husband. After Kid comes back home, Kid and his mom pout their heart out to each other and they get a little closer. Now that Kid has his mom on his side, I think Kid will live a normal life.

Kid's relationships with his peers and his family definitely has changed the course of Kid's life. Even though some of the relationships had some bad on him, he still had enough to get by there. Realationships in people's lives are helpful in many ways. In the real world, family members help out each other. Like if my sister doesn't know how to do her homework, I'd help her. I would be like Fish, hinting out hints, helping her and sort of telling her to do it herself. Sometimes if the problem is huge, like a pregnant teen, her parents would help and guide her all the way throughout her pregnancy time. Her parents would get her ready when the time comes. You see reader, connections with other people are good even if they have the bad in it. Realationships with others will lead you to the right route :)

3 comments:

  1. I really love your post! I agree with you when you said"Relationships in people lives helpful in many ways." I really think that was a deep connection to the real world, because it's true. All over the world, people would be a mess without a relationship. I, too would be like Fish, but no one would want help from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did a really good job of sticking to your point. You gave examples of three people who affected Kid's life. I think that the mother had no other choice but to think like Kid's father because Kid ran away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that people we know influence our lives and personalities. I agree with you in the last paragraph when you said that relationships with people are good in general, even if they are bad sometimes. Interacting with other people is a basic need for humans, and social interaction is a positive even when the interaction itself may not be so positive. Interacting with other people helps us learn.

    ReplyDelete