Friday, September 21, 2012

The Drummer Boy of Shiloh

"The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" by Ray Bradbury is about a boy who is in the Vietnam War. This is his first time in war. Throughout the story, there are many meaningful lines. In my opinion, I think the line "After that he turned the drum on its side, where its great lunar face peered at him whenever he opened his eyes", is one of the most important in the story. In the time of war, nothing seems to stay put. For example, "A moth brushed his face, but it was peach blossom. A peach blossom flicked him, but it was a moth. Nothing stayed put. Nothing had a name. Nothing was as it once was." This tells us that nothing in Joby's time of war stayed the same. So the drum, his drum was the only constant in his life. It says that the drum's lunar face peers at him whenever he opens his eyes. Saying that, the drum is always there with him. It gives him a feeling of a bit secure knowing that he has one familiar thing to hang on to.

Relating to the knowing of hanging onto one familiar thing, I know a few stories. I remember the day I transferred to a new school. You know why I transferred? Because I was smart. Haha. But back to the story. I was new. I had no friends. Everything seemed so foreign. New faces and new teachers. No offense, but I felt like I was the only Chinese person there. It's scary to be in a place where no is like you. I didn't really know what to do. The familiar thing that keep me going was not really that familiar. It was actually my teacher. Yea, I know I don't really know her, but I felt like the teacher was my guide throughout the year. And she was. Many and plenty times she helped me out.

Really, to sum up, even in lonely new times, you'll always find some familiarity hanging around somewhere. :)))

No comments:

Post a Comment